Skip to main content

A Celebration for Mei

And that, for me, was the greatest gift of all.....

The news buzzed on my phone, a notification about Thailand legalizing same-sex marriage. A grin split my face wider than it had in years. This was for my sister, Mei. For years, she’d hidden a piece of herself, the fear of rejection a constant shadow. Now, the sun was finally breaking through.

We weren’t always the closest. Growing up, I was the typical overprotective brother, fiercely loyal but sometimes oblivious. It wasn’t until college that Mei confided in me, her voice barely a whisper. Her secret wasn’t a shameful one,but the fear in her eyes tore at me. I realised then how much I’d taken for granted, the freedom to be myself.

Since then, I’d been Mei’s biggest cheerleader. I met her girlfriend, Lin, a kind and funny woman who made my sister laugh in a way I hadn’t heard before. Seeing them together, their love so evident, filled me with a fierce protectiveness,but this time, it was against a world that wouldn’t recognise their bond.

Now, with this law, that world was changing. Mei could finally shout her love from the rooftops, could walk down the aisle with Lin, not as a second-class citizen, but as an equal. The thought brought tears to my eyes.

I messaged Mei right away. “Looks like you’re getting married, little sis!” A moment later, my phone buzzed with her reply, a single tear emoji followed by a string of happy faces. We planned to celebrate that night, a small victory dance before the real one.

Thailand's Senate approves marriage equality bill
Yes
Thailand becomes first nation in Southeast Asia to legalize same-sex marriage
Monumental step forward for LGBTQ+ rights

This law wasn’t just about legalities; it was about acceptance. It was about my sister, finally free to be who she truly was,to love and be loved without fear. And that, for me, was the greatest gift of all.


‘Monumental step forward’: Thailand to become first Southeast Asian nation to legalize same-sex marriage

Comments