Skip to main content

Navigating the App Store Maze

At least I wouldn't be a pawn in their app store game anymore.....

I fired up my trusty map app, eager to find that new ramen place everyone’s been raving about. But instead of the usual clear directions, my screen glitched. The map spun wildly, zooming in on random streets, then jumping across town altogether. I tapped the screen, muttered frustrations, but the app continued its nonsensical dance.

This wasn’t a one-time thing. Lately, my map app had become increasingly erratic. It would reroute me on scenic detours that added hours to my commute, or point me towards dead ends. It was like some unseen force was messing with my navigation!

Then, the news broke. The EU was accusing Apple, the maker of my map app, of bullying app developers. Allegedly,Apple was forcing developers to use their expensive payment system, even if there were cheaper options. This made me furious!

Suddenly, it all made sense. My crazy map app wasn’t a bug, it was a feature! A manipulative one designed to keep me locked into Apple’s ecosystem, even if it meant getting lost or wasting gas.

Brussels accuses Apple of breaking Big Tech monopoly laws
Fine possible?
Yes - Multi-billion euro fine
No - Process ends
European Commission: App Store breaches DMA
DMA - Regulates Big Tech companies

This wasn’t just about a ramen craving. This was about big companies like Apple controlling our choices and squeezing every penny out of us. I wasn’t going to stand for it. Maybe it was time to explore alternative map apps, even if it meant a little learning curve. At least I wouldn’t be a pawn in their app store game anymore.

This story is fiction


Apple faces multi-billion euro fine under Brussels monopoly crackdown

Comments