Ted had spent most of his adult life learning how to make decisions when there was never enough of anything.
Not enough beds.
Not enough nurses.
Not enough laboratory capacity.
Not enough time.
And, in the poorer hospitals he had once worked in, sometimes not enough antibiotics.
Now, at fifty-two, he was no longer simply the senior physician at the local public hospital. A recent promotion had placed him in charge of clinical coordination across five hospitals in the region. He was expected to standardize treatment protocols, review serious incidents, negotiate with administrators, and help decide which medicines and medical devices the public system would purchase.
It was precisely the sort of position that made people who sold medical products suddenly become very interested in his calendar.
Matt was one of those people.
He had been calling on Ted for nearly fifteen years, first selling diagnostic equipment and later representing a pharmaceutical company. He arrived one Tuesday afternoon carrying a leather folder and wearing the expression of a man who had just discovered an old friend had become extremely important.
“Dr. Ted,” Matt said warmly. “Congratulations. I always knew you’d make it to the top.”
Ted smiled.
“You never said that before.”
Matt laughed.
“Well, I was obviously waiting for the right moment.”
They both knew what the right moment was.
Matt wanted access to the hospitals Ted now supervised. He wanted his company’s products considered for the regional formulary. He wanted meetings with procurement officers and department heads. More importantly, he wanted Ted to feel that their long professional relationship entitled him to a little help.
Ted closed the folder Matt had placed on the desk.
“Matt, we’re going to have to be careful now.”
“Of course.”
“I mean very careful.”
Matt’s smile faded slightly.
Ted leaned back.
“Once I was promoted, our friendship became a potential conflict of interest. Even if neither of us does anything wrong, other people have to be able to see that decisions are being made fairly.”
Modern public-health procurement was not simply about buying the cheapest product. Quality, evidence, technical specifications, reliability, supply continuity, lifecycle costs, and patient safety all mattered. At the same time, decision-makers had to protect the process from favoritism and undisclosed interests.
And pharmaceuticals carried another complication.
A medicine that generated excellent sales for a company was not necessarily the medicine that should be used most often by a public health system.
Ted had become particularly interested in antimicrobial stewardship. The World Health Organization’s latest surveillance work had shown how widespread antibiotic resistance had become, with resistance increasing across many monitored pathogen-antibiotic combinations. WHO’s current global strategy also emphasizes the One Health nature of antimicrobial resistance: humans, animals, food systems, and the environment are connected.
“We’re going to be reviewing antibiotic use across all five hospitals,” Ted said. “Not just which drugs we buy, but why we’re prescribing them.”
Matt nodded.
“We have a very strong broad-spectrum antibiotic.”
“I’m sure you do.”
“It covers a wide range of organisms.”
“Which is precisely why it shouldn’t automatically become everyone’s first choice.”
Ted explained that antimicrobial stewardship was not the same thing as refusing antibiotics. It meant giving the right drug to the right patient, at the right dose and duration, based on the best available evidence. WHO’s AWaRe framework distinguishes antibiotics into Access, Watch, and Reserve categories, partly to encourage responsible use and preserve the effectiveness of medicines that will be needed against resistant infections.
Matt looked at him for a moment.
“You’ve changed.”
Ted smiled.
“No. I just finally have a bigger desk.”
Then he became quiet.
“There was a time when I thought becoming a doctor was the last thing I’d ever do.”
Matt had heard fragments of the story before, but never the whole thing.
Ted continued.
“After university, I joined a volunteer program and went to a remote region in Africa. I wasn’t a doctor. I didn’t have the training. My work was mostly sanitation.”
He remembered villages where clean water could not be taken for granted.
The volunteers worked with local residents on wells, waste disposal, handwashing facilities, drainage, and basic hygiene. When children became sick, the medical volunteers could provide simple treatment, but Ted gradually understood something that would shape the rest of his life.
Giving someone medicine after an illness had begun was important.
Preventing the illness in the first place could be even more important.
“We learned that public health isn’t just about hospitals,” Ted said. “Water, sanitation, vaccination, nutrition, housing, education, surveillance. All of it matters.”
Years later, the idea would become familiar to him under more formal terminology: prevention, infection prevention and control, health-system resilience, antimicrobial stewardship, surveillance, and One Health.
But at the time, he simply knew that children were getting sick.
He stayed for two years.
On the day he left, the small aircraft bounced across an unpaved airstrip before finally climbing into the hot afternoon sky.
Ted looked down through the window.
The village became smaller.
Then he saw something moving.
People were running toward the edge of the settlement.
Adults.
Children.
Old men.
Women.
They were taking off the shirts they were wearing and swinging them above their heads.
Round and round.
The motion looked strange from the air.
For several seconds Ted couldn’t understand it.
Then he realized.
They were saying goodbye.
He pressed his forehead against the window.
“I’d never experienced gratitude like that,” he told Matt.
His voice had become softer.
“I had helped them. But they had given me something too. They had shown me that you could spend your life doing something useful without anyone knowing your name.”
The plane climbed higher.
The village disappeared beneath the clouds.
Ted suddenly felt an unbearable pressure in his chest.
“I punched the wall beside my seat.”
Matt stared at him.
“On the plane?”
“Yes.”
“Why?”
“I don’t know.”
Ted looked down at his hands.
“I punched it again. And again. My knuckles started bleeding.”
He laughed quietly at the memory.
“The other passenger probably thought I was insane.”
For years afterward, Ted changed careers several times. Eventually, almost by accident, he entered medicine.
Then medicine consumed him.
He learned anatomy, pharmacology, microbiology, pathology, emergency medicine, epidemiology, and the thousands of small rules that prevent one tired person from making one catastrophic mistake.
He learned that a doctor could save a life with a drug but could also contribute to resistance by prescribing unnecessarily.
He learned that a sophisticated machine was useless if nobody maintained it.
He learned that a hospital could have brilliant surgeons and still fail because its water system was contaminated.
He learned that clinical guidelines mattered, but so did local data.
And he learned that healthcare was never merely about individual doctors.
It was a system.
Today, as the leader of five hospitals, Ted spent more time looking at spreadsheets and antibiotic-use dashboards than operating rooms.
Some doctors complained that he had become an administrator.
Ted didn’t mind.
He knew that a decision made in a procurement meeting could affect thousands of patients he would never personally meet.
That was why Matt’s folder mattered.
Ted pushed it gently across the desk.
“I’m not saying your products are bad.”
“I know.”
“I’m saying that if they’re good, they should survive an impartial evaluation.”
Matt nodded slowly.
“And if they are the best option, you’ll buy them?”
“Absolutely.”
Ted smiled.
“But if something else is better for patients, cheaper over its useful life, easier to maintain, or better supported by evidence, we’ll buy that instead.”
There was a long silence.
Matt finally stood.
“You know, Ted, I came here prepared to flatter you.”
“I noticed.”
“I thought you’d be pleased.”
“I was.”
“Really?”
“Yes. It reminded me how much responsibility this job carries.”
Matt laughed.
Ted walked him to the door.
Before Matt left, Ted glanced through the window toward the hospital entrance.
People were coming and going.
Patients.
Families.
Nurses.
Cleaners.
Paramedics.
Technicians.
Doctors.
Most would never know who had approved a particular antibiotic contract or changed a particular infection-control policy.
That was fine.
Ted had stopped needing to be thanked.
But sometimes, late at night, when the hospital corridors were nearly empty, he still remembered that small aircraft rising above an African village.
He could still see the people below.
Still see the shirts turning in circles against the earth.
And even after decades of medicine, he had never found a better definition of what healthcare was supposed to be.
Not applause.
Not prestige.
Not sales figures.
Just people trying to make sure that, when the next person looked up from the ground, someone had given them a reason to wave.
All names of people and organizations appearing in this story are pseudonyms

Comments