Skip to main content

Impression Change Factors

I was glad that she had found what she was looking for…..

I was sitting at a coffee shop, working on my laptop, when I overheard a conversation between a young woman and her father. The woman was talking about her plans to move to a new city, and the father was trying to talk her out of it.

“You don’t know anyone there,” the father said. “You’ll be all alone.”

“I’ll make new friends,” the woman said. “I’m ready for a change.”

The father sighed. “I just don’t want you to get hurt.”

“I’ll be fine,” the woman said. “I promise.”

The father shook his head. “I don’t know,” he said. “I just have a bad feeling about this.”

The woman smiled. “Don’t worry, Dad,” she said. “Everything’s going to be okay.”

The father gave her a hug. “I love you,” he said.

“I love you too, Dad,” the woman said.

The woman and her father left the coffee shop, and I watched them go. I couldn’t help but think about the conversation I had overheard. I knew that the father was just trying to protect his daughter, but I also knew that she was right to want to make a change. Sometimes, the only way to grow is to step outside of your comfort zone.

I finished my coffee and left the coffee shop. As I walked down the street, I thought about the young woman and her father. I wondered how she would do in her new city. I hoped that she would find happiness and success.

A few weeks later, I was back at the same coffee shop. I was sitting at the same table, working on my laptop, when I saw the young woman again. She was sitting with a group of friends, laughing and talking. She looked happy and carefree.

New Information
Supports initial impression
Contradicts initial impression
Initial Impression
Evaluate new information
Reinforce initial impression
Change impression
End

I smiled. I was glad that she had found what she was looking for.

Comments