Skip to main content

Confuse public roles with private interests

2023-03-15 17:19:39

“I’ve had my face trampled on by my father.”

confusion
questionable
public
private

She is a very bright, intelligent and cheerful girl. When she said the above, at first I didn’t know what she was talking about.

Then I realized that it was apparently about domestic violence. But I could not immediately erase another mystery.
In other words, I could not understand that it was she who received the violence.

She is a bright and intelligent girl.
Everyone around her seemed to notice that her father was abusing her in her home.
I was the only one who didn’t know that.

To me, she’s just a bright, cheerful girl. If her personality was nurtured by a crisis situation called domestic violence, I don’t know what I should think.

Is public-private confusion a right or wrong?
Public-private confusion generally has a lot of negative opinions. It is considered unfair and ethically questionable to confuse public roles with private interests.
For example, politicians and bureaucrats who abuse their public positions for private gain are accused of corruption and injustice. It is also considered undesirable from the perspective of corporate management to misappropriate company funds for private purposes.
However, on the other hand, there is also a certain degree of justification for using private means to pursue the public interest. For example, is it ethically criticized for politicians and bureaucrats to invest their resources to contribute to solving social problems?
In general, there are cases in which public and private matters are right or wrong depending on the situation and background. However, it is generally desirable to have a clear separation between public and private interests.

Comments