Skip to main content

Have never had brandy here

They weren’t asking if I could ride a bicycle, they were asking if the brandy would fit in the basket.....

“Listen! If you bring your empty bottles to the liquor store over there, they’ll give you a small discount.”

We didn’t know how much the retail price would be discounted, but any discount would be nice. Immediately we collected the empty bottles in the hangout.
About six empty bottles of brandy or whiskey were found, but hey! I have never had brandy here.

What are the different meanings of the concept in general?
Concepts in general, including expressions, have various meanings. Social meaning, primitive meaning, classical meaning, conventional meaning, psychological meaning, technical meaning, etc.
The context must be clear in order to judge which of those meanings is currently being used.

Anyway, we threw these empty bottles into the bicycle basket and I rode my bike to the liquor store.
Along the way, I received a text message from someone waiting for Santa Claus at a hangout.

<Can ride a bicycle?>

what? I wondered what this meant. I can ride a bicycle Rather, I’m riding now, right?

Why shouldn’t context determine meaning?
In short, concepts provide meaning, but contextual assistance is essential for that meaning to be utilized.
But still the context should not determine the meaning. Because if the context determines the meaning, the concept will be neglected.

I arrived at a liquor store, handed over an empty bottle, and bought a few bottles of brandy. I put it in the basket. It was a little heavy.
I realized the meaning of the previous message. They weren’t asking if I could ride a bicycle, they were asking if the brandy would fit in the basket.

Can you ride a bicycle?

Tens of thousands view body of former Pope Benedict | Reuters
Tens of thousands view body of former Pope Benedict | Reuters… “I feel like he was a grandfather to us,” …

That’s all for today’s post. Thank you

Showing posts matching

Comments